Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Glyder-Playground for life

Photobucket
True Talent
2008

Glyder hail from Ireland and have often been compared to fellow countrymen Thin Lizzy. That comparison is fair enough and a good start at defining this band however that is by no means an end to what they accomplish. They are diverse in both styles and tempos and although there is a definite 1970’s classic rock aura, they also create and maintain a definite patient and even subtle quality that I really found to be very refreshing. Right from the start of this album they establish what they want to accomplish and they oh so carefully begin laying down the blocks as they just start building solid hard rock track after track. Even the production is very much tailored to their style as there a shockingly strong balance between a clean feel and just enough layers of a heavy rawness present to keep everything in check. Yes, Thin Lizzy are the main influence although I heard some UFO and even traces of Pink Floyd a time or two as well. Yet this is no retro tribute band because Glyder are doing enough to begin etching their own chapter in today's hard rock scene. Now I do have to admit that this album was certainly a grower because it took me numerous plays for me to completley accept and realize how good this album is. Largely I think this was due to the fact that I am not the most patient person in the world and I am used to a lot of music catering to me in that way by storming on and giving me the best parts first. Glyder are not that type of band on many tracks as they carefully lay down the groundwork and then make their way forward as they manipulate their music and forge ahead at their pace. It's a very tight web once you make it through, but they certainly go at it exactly as they saw fit. Really a fine album and despite the obvious influences they still seem relatively fresh due to their obvious love for this style.


http://www.myspace.com/glyder

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

they wish they sounded like thin lizzy.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Sean-They do sound like them. It's really actually okay to like bands that released albums after 1989.

4:55 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Cool. I'm gonna give this one a listen ... we'll see if I agree.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

i've heard glyder plenty and although they may try to cop thin lizzy's style, they fail...miserably.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

sean-You are certainly missing out. Glyder are getting even better and coming into their own.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

i've been losing interest in the newer rock bands who want to sound like older rocks bands (jet, glyder, the darkness, wolfmother, airbourne).

10:41 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Sean- I can't say that I would fault you on showing a lack of interest in Jet, the Darkness or Airbourne. Yet the other two are taking classic rock sounds and putting some of their one energy into it. If you don't like Zeppelin then I can't imagine you could get into Wolfmother.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

Actually I dug Wolfmother when their debut was released. My guitar player at the time bought the original Aussie pressing of their first album and loaned it to me. It was alright! Then they were getting played everywhere. Ugh. I was out.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

What was their label thinking? Trying to get them airplay and sell records, what a horrible idea.

I interviewed Witchcraft a while back. They were talking about how when they toured the states last year that people here were refering to them as "retro-metal" and lumping them in with Wolfmother. They hadn't been given those kind of comparisons in Europe and didn't really agree with it.

There have actually been a lot of good releases this year from 70's hard rock sounding bands. Besides Glyder I would say that Big Elf, TAB the band, Rosehill Drive and Shame Club have all released fine albums in 2008. Big Elf in particular is easily one of the best albums of the year.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home