Sunday, August 17, 2008

Interview with Michale Graves

Photobucket

Vocalist Michale Graves is probably best known as having been the vocalist for the second version of the Misfits. Since then he has played with Gotham Road and has done solo albums. I recently interviewed him to find out more about his past and what he is currently up to.

Hello, what are you currently working on?

I am currently working on a new release called "ILLUSIONS LIVE/VIRRETA PARK". It is a live album with 5 brand new studio recordings that were put together while I was in Romania working on a film I am in called "Perkins 14". I will also be appearing on a new show on FUSE called "The Daily Grind" right before I leave for the fall tour in Sept.

What kind of music are you listening to these days?
I've been listening to old blues...Leadbelly, Robert Johnson....some old 80's rock I got on my ipod, Nirvana, The Police, Living End, Dredg, Bob Dylan.

Let's go back to when you tried out for the Misfits in 1995. How did prepare for the audition and what was the audition like? Did you think you had the gig right away or did you have to wait to find out?
I prepared myself by learning the songs inside and out and just singing the tunes best I could. It was a long while and and even longer process for me to find out that I got the part so to speak. It really wasn't until Halloween night when we played at "Coney Island High"after that I was sort of ...kind of ...sure I was in.

So you went from a small band to being in the Misfits, on a major label and playing big shows in like two years or less. How fast were things going for you at that stage?
Lightening quick.

What was the most difficult thing about adjusting to being in the Misfits?
All of the new relationships. I had only known these guys for maybe a year or so and then all of a sudden we're traveling the world and living on buses and tiny European hotel rooms and hostels. I was the youngest of the bunch...these guys were all 10 years older then me...I was just a kid.

What were some of your favorite moments while in the Misfits?
We accomplished so much together...my favorite moments are the memories of us laughing together. We really did have a lot of fun together.

What was the writing process like with them? Did you get to have much input?
I got to have a lot of input. I wrote a great deal of the compositions that are Misfits songs, that's a fact. It was clear and still is that I am the strongest writer of the bunch without a doubt...but everyone back then would record there ideas and songs on tape and hand them out...the songs that stuck we worked on and kept.

Photobucket

Why did that particular line-up break-up?
Because there was nobody around that was mutually respected and trusted by all four of us...and that had the ability to step in and manage all of the different personalities and dynamics that were happening. Everyone one of us had our grievances and they were all relevant .... no one spoke up when it was time to speak up.
I left because I felt I wasn't being respected and looked after the way I should've been after contributing so much. I was always shuffled to the back. If I didn't like the way things were...I could go home...so I did.
I knew that without me it would come apart and be so totally different that it would prove my point.

Then you went from being in a fairly big band to kind of having to start over again. How difficult was that and did you jump right back into music or did you take some off first?
I got right back on the horse. It was difficult because I was and I did have to start over and couldn't springboard off of my accomplishment and work I did with the Misfits because no credit was ever given to me specifically which it should have been.

Then you were in Gotham Road, how was that band different than being in the Misfits?
For all of the obvious reasons. I was now the oldest guy with the most experience leading a bunch of guys just starting out. It was different, too because of the mind set we had. It was just a bunch of guys making real good music together.

Is your current set list a mix of solo material, Gotham Road and Misfits' songs or what?
It is a mix of all of material from my entire career

Under the "Influences" section of your Myspace page you have a quote from "Some anonymous fool out there". The quote is too long to write here, but it's criticizing you. Where was this originally posted and why do you have it on your Myspace page?
I think someone sent that to me or posted it somewhere. I put it up because it was just such a fine example of the disdain some people have for me and it made all of us that work here with me laugh. Its pretty funny, I think.

Photobucket
Which of your post-Misfits albums are you most proud of and why?
I'm proud of all of them equally for different reasons. Each one of them has such an amazing story behind them and took such effort from so many people...I am proud of all of them.

What would be your advice to young people just getting into the music business?
Learn your craft. Learn how to do it yourself. Learn how the music business was, and is now, and how and why it is changing. Do something that is yours and no one elses...contribute to the world somehow through your efforts, educate yourself or learn how to do something .....that you like to do..... that will help you pay your bills. Practice, practice, practice.

What have you yet to accomplish in your music career that you hope to achieve at some point?
I would like to win a Grammy someday.

Is there anything else that you would like to say about your music or anything else?
I wrote some music on my last album with Damien Echols who is a death row inmate in Arkansas, He is one of the West Memphis Three in jail for crimes they did not and could not have committed. In September these guys are going back to court for the last time...it is Damien's last appeal for his life. Please go to
www.wm3.org and find out more about this case and why its important and relevant to our generation and how you can get involved. Free The West Memphis Three!


http://www.myspace.com/gravesmichale

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home