Friday, October 05, 2007

Hackman-The new normal

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Hackman-The new normal
Small Stone
2007

This Massachusetts based trio's debut takes a somewhat different approach to stoner rock. They have a rather gigantic sound that’s you right away and keeps plugging along. "The new normal" consists of seven songs and I believe there is only a total of twelve words uttered on the entire disc. Yet despite being mostly just music, it’s not like most heavy instrumental albums. The songs seem like very structured and more like typical songs without vocals rather the virtuoso style of instrumental album. What the lack of vocals does for this album is that allows you to hear and really feel every nuance of the music. The band largely takes a rather straight ahead approach and the pace changes are there, but sometimes perhaps more subtle than other bands of the same genre. The style is not exactly like anyone else as a whole. The best comparison I would make is that they sound somewhat like the Fireball Ministry, but more involved. Yet at other times they also remind me of Nebula. Still I think that Hackman are slowly defining themselves with their own style. I think that my favorite thing about this release is that the band controls the pace rather than letting it control them. This does perhaps require some patience from the listener, but if you stick with then you will be rewarded by a basic yet effective album. Now I will admit that I was initially taken aback by the lack of vocals, but it only took about two plays of the entire disc for me to be won over.

You can check them out on Myspace below.
Myspace

If you are interested in them then check back here on Monday when I will post an interview with their guitarist Darryl Sheppard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home