Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Iron Maiden-Live after death, 1985

To me this is the live album by which all other live metal albums should be judged. And believe me, it will not be easy to measure up to this big monster of an album either. I remember going to the record store to buy this in late fall of 1985. You wouldn't think a live album by a band who didn't get played on the radio would be a big deal, but Maiden were at their peak here in the states and it was most certainly a huge deal. The record store had a six foot tall Eddie stand-up and posters and flats advertising the album all over the place. I remember that WASP, Dokken and Twisted Sister all released albums around this same time, but Live after death was the one everyone wanted. I got my copy on cassette and stuck into my cheap little boombox when I got home and I was floored. To me it was like the power of Maiden only more so and it was everything I would want from a live show. They had done some tremendous albums at this point in their career, but pulling it off live and making it sound even better at times was huge task. The fourteen minute "Rime of the ancient mariner" is not a song most metal bands would have done in the first and it might be hard to pull of live. Yet on this album, the band not only pulls it off, but the song is perhaps the biggest highlight of the set. Iron Maiden are no stranger to live album as their first live album an ep entitled "Maiden Japan" came out after just their second album. Over the last 15 years it feels like they have done as many live albums as they have studio release. Yet "Live after death" is a great example of what can be done on a live album. They manage to maintain a high energy level throughout the entire album. My only complaint is Bruce Dickinson seems to have some trouble doing two Paul Dianno songs and those are Running Free and Iron Maiden. They are just better with Dianno singing them. My favorite songs are Rime of the ancient mariner, The Number of the beast, Aces high and the Trooper.

3 Comments:

Blogger José Carlos Santos said...

great review. that's more or less what i think about the album too.

it's cool that you mentioned 'aces high' as one of your favourites. it's never been one of my favourite maiden songs, but this live version has an amazing power to it that elevates it above the rest somehow.

4:37 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Great review. I think any singer has trouble making a previous singer's songs his own; look at Sammy singing DLR's songs. Dickinson has handled it about as well as anyone.

-- david

6:46 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Jose-Powerslave was I think the first Maiden album I heard and I still think highly of it.

David-I think it's matter of the song style. Bruce sounded good doing Phantom of the opera, but the song Iron Maiden and Running Free are far better suited for Dianno's voice.

Webpirate-I think you said it best with "I knew this was not for me". In the world of metal, I think Maiden were and still are one of a kind. I think they are great musicians and solid songwriters. It all depends on what you are looking for. I loved them the first time I heard then and still do. Also it seems to me that they are metal band that I am prowd of. I cringe at the joke Kiss have become and I shake my head at the off stage antics of Axl Rose and Vince Nei, I almost hide my head when I see the vegetable Ozzy has become and I still can't believe what Metallica have turned into. Yet there are older bands like Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Dio
and the Scorpions that remain fairly consistant and still make me proud to be a fan. You talk of dating the music yet Maiden's legacy lives on the bands they have influenced. I thought grunge died off before the 90's even ended. Then again I have never claimed to keep up with current popular music trends so I may be wrong on that. Metal is still going on, only now there are far more sub genre then there were 20 years ago.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home