Friday, December 30, 2005

Albums for a deserted island

I have had this partially written post laying around for several weeks so I want to get it out there even though it means posting twice in one day. I wanted an easy one write, but also something fun and I don't care that I am ripping off an idea from an old radio show. Back in the mid-80's there was a nationally syndicated radio show called the Metalshop and one weekly feature was where they would ask a metal musician this question - "If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only have one album with you, what would it be?" Now I don't know how you get electricity and a turntable on a deserted island, but I guess you just have to use a little imagination. I can't limit myself to one album so I want to give three choices, but you have to pick one hard rock/metal album from each of the three decades 70's, 80's and 90's. Plus it might be good to just state why you pick each one. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be your favorite album of the decade, but the one you could listen to if you only had three albums for a long period of time. So I will start it off and hopefully someone else will be brave enough to try it as well.

1970's-Black Sabbath-s/t
I chose this one because of the very stripped down sound and the variance in pace of the songs. I considered some of their other albums, but I think that I listen to this one the most without getting bored.

1980's- Iron Maiden- The Number of the beast
Probably the metal album that I have heard the most in my life and I know that I will never get bored with it. Again the varied styles of the songs is one of the main reasons I picked this one.

1990's-Dream Theater- Images and words
This one has lots of different styles within individual songs. It's also one of the albums that really makes me feel really alive and I think that would be a good thing to have around.

Okay, is anyone feeling brave enough to add their choices?

11 Comments:

Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I would have to take along Metallica's Black Album. It has no filler to it. I can listen to it from start to finish. Then I would have to take some cheesy hair band metal since no one would be their to laugh about it. Probably Poison 'Look What the Cat Dragged In'. I know it's some cheesy choices but its my deserted island.

11:17 AM  
Blogger T-_Bone said...

Wow - Mark - your choices are almost exactly mine. Except I'll change 70's to Stained Class by Priest.

If I cann add one from this decad I would choose Agalloch - The Mantle or Opeth - Blackwater Park.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Aliecat said...

Hmmm- there are too many to pick just one...Atmosphere's Seven's Travels, Aerosmith's Pump, and any album by Led Zeplin

8:02 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

A very, very tough choice for each decade. Here are my selections and my runners-up:

70s: Van Halen, Van Halen. Runners-up: Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath; Rush, 2112; and The Who, Who's Next.

80s: Guns N' Roses, Appetite for Destruction. Runners-up: Iron Maiden, Number of the Beast; Iron Maiden, Powerslave; and Ratt, Out of the Cellar.

90s: Rush, Chronicles (That's cheating, of course, by picking a double album that is a compilation of Rush's music from the 70s and 80s!). Runners-up: Kyuss, Blues for the Red Sun; and Steve Hackett, Darktown (not metal, but too good to pass up).

-- david

8:42 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

All three decades were hard to pick just one from, but I actually had the toughest time choosing from the 70's. Outside of the first six Sabbath albums you have Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper's best albums, Aerosmith, Rush, the Nuge, Rainbow, Thin Lzzy, two Van Halen albums, Bon Scott era AC/DC and even some good albums by Kiss. That's just the big names, what a great decade for hard rock and early metal.

10:05 AM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

70s: 2112. This was the first time I had ever heard Rush and I fell in love with the band right there and then.

80s- Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime. Oned of my favorites of all time. The guitars and Geoff Tate's voice are amazing, simply amazing.

90s- Metallica's Black Album, for the same reasons as :p fuzzbox.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

Well for the 70's Ummm I would have to think long and hard about that.

80's I think Doolittle The Pixies
90'S I think Nirvana- Unplugged

I know they are not heavey choices but Meh , They always top my all time album list period =)

12:38 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Geez. That's a tough one.
1970s - Rainbow's Rising
1980s - Either Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance, Ozzy's Blizzard of Ozz, Yngwie's Marching Out, Black Sabbath's The Mob Rules, Iron Maiden's Iron Maiden, or Guns and Roses Appetite for Destruction.
1990s - I'll skip this decade because this was the decade of sucky music
2000s - Either Cradle of Filth's Midian or Nightwish's Once. Lots of good music in the 2000s too. Love Opeth's Damnation and I'm starting to heavily get into H.I.M.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Zombieslayer- Rainbow's Rising is an great choice. My favorite album that Ronnie James Dio ever sang on and that is saying something.

8:04 PM  
Blogger aXe mAn said...

If I were stranded on a desert island, and could only have 3 albums, what would they be?
That is a tough question!
Hmmm.
I would have to say:

70's: Van Halen "Van Halen" ('78)
Some classic Van Halen, some of their best songs ever recorded.

80's: Dokken "Under Lock & Key"('85)
Great guitar riffs by guitar hero George Lynch! Can never go wrong with that!

90's: Firehouse "Hold Your Fire"
This is a kick ass band!! There is not a track on this cd that I don't like!

I would never get tired of any of these!

(this was a great topic! it really got me thinkin'!!)

7:15 PM  
Blogger HondoZ said...

Great Topic!!
Here are my 3 album picks:

70's:
Led Zeppelin: IV
Best classic rock band of all time!! Stairway To Heaven is a great song!

80's:
Motley Crue: Dr. Feelgood
Tommy Lee is one of the best drummers ever! Motley Crue ruled the 80's!

90's:
Saints & Sinners: Saints & Sinners
One of the most underated bands of all time! To bad they only put out 1 album!!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home