Wednesday, July 13, 2005

They should have been big!

Have you ever said this about a band? I know that I used to, but I vow to never do it again. It's not that big a deal and it is an opinion, but it just doesn't ring true enough for me to ever feel justified in using it again. I used to say this when referring to Armored Saint and Black and Blue as I was surprised they never made it big. However, when we say "They should have been big" I think what we are really saying is "I liked this band a lot so why didn't other people like them?". I wouldn't even begin to say that I completely understand or know much about the business end of the music industry, but I have to think that if a major label band doesn't make it that there was a real reason and not just a matter of them falling through the cracks. There are probably many cases where a label could have promoted a band more, but I wouldn't think that would be the only reason a band didn't catch on.
For an up and coming band, getting the best opening slot is a big deal and I am sure this can play a part in album sales. I have often thought about just how important it was that Metallica got to open for Ozzy in 1986. Metallica were kind of at the top of the underground as they got ready to release Master of puppets. They got the opening spot for Ozzy on the Ultimate Sin tour and it turned out to be huge because Ozzy's album made it to the top five on the charts and he had a successful tour. At the same time, Anthrax were also a band people thought were on the verge, but they ended up opening for Black Sabbath and playing to half empty arenas. I wander if Anthrax had gotten the Ozzy tour and Metallica the Black Sabbath spot then would that have changed the future of these two bands? Would Anthrax have been mega-huge and Metallica just mildly successful? I don't know. I kind of think the strength of Master of Puppets would have pushed Metallica through even if they had gotten the less favorable opening slot.
In 1985, Geffen records saw some potential in Black and Blue and they had some positive press after their 1984 debut. Geffen wanted them to have a more commercial sound so they brought in producer Bruce Fairbairn to try to help gear them in that direction. The album definitely had a more commercial sound, but it did not catch on. Less than a year later Fairbairn was brought in to produce an album for another up and coming hard rock. The band was Bon Jovi and the album was Slippery when wet which of course was huge and it sent Bon Jovi to the top. Fairbairn took about the same direction with both of these albums yet one sat there and one became huge. Was it just that Bon Jovi were really that much better or was it just a matter of timing and push from the record company. Again, I don't truly know.
Just some things to think about and I am sure there are many other examples of the "what if" variety as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home