Saturday, June 25, 2005

Dokken-Under lock and key

Background-This was Dokken's third release and I believe it came out in the fall of 1985. The band's previous release Tooth and Nail had done quite well as they received some radio airplay and they locked onto a major tour opening for the Scorpions. I first heard Under lock and key when I borrowed the tape from a friend and that was probably within a month of it's release. The last time I heard the entire album was probably at least 1989 so it has been a while.

First opinion/current opinion- My opinion upon hearing this one in 85 was it's alright, but no Tooth and nail. I felt there were too many sappy songs and not enough heavy ones. Right now I stand by that view because it was the same view I had the last time I heard it.

Okay, now I want to briefly go over my rules before I begin with the review. I listen to the album straight through and I am listening to see if it is any good on it's own and why, but not how it compares to other albums by this band or the work of other bands. So I will try to avoid terms like describing someone as "sounding like Van Halen" or something like that. I will rather try to be a little more specific and I will use comparison terms only if it the absolute best way to describe something. My writing will probably be more like a simple analysis of what is actually going on rather than a flowery review. I am writing down my reactions to the songs and try to be as to the point as I can. After the review I give a final verdict which be whether it is better or worse than I thought back in 1985 and in the final verdict I can then use comparison terms as I give my final words on the album.

Review- This morning I did something I have never done before while listening to music, I took notes. Yes, I must be getting old to do that, but I want to be accurate with what I say here and I want to capture my initial reactions. So I pulled out my vinyl copy of Under lock and key which I purchased in a lot of albums a few years ago from ebay. I had to clean the dust off of it first although it is quite good shape. I put the needle on and then set down next to my notebook and I wrote notes for each song in between feeding my daughter her breakfast and drinking my coffee. I don't know if I will always do these review as song by song, but I felt it would be the most accurate way at least for me to get started. Please keep in mind that I am not a writer, but just a fan so I am probably running on steam more than on any talent.

Unchain the night-Okay, here comes the opening track which comes on with a brief intro that consists of a few simple notes from George Lynch as it builds up to the beginning of the song and launches into a medium heavy pace. Don Dokken comes in with the vocals and it goes from there. Overall a good song with a solid beat and it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Lynch's solo is sharp without being too showy so that's a plus.

Hunter-This opens with a flurry of notes from Lynch and settles down fast. Don's voice takes on a real low quality through most of this song and I'm not sure it really suits him because it sounds somewhat out of place here like he is trying to be very serious. The solo comes earlier than expected and it's smooth and really fits with the overall feel of the song. About two thirds of the way through the repetitiveness of the chorus is really getting to me and finally it comes to an end.

In my dreams- It opens with a group chorus in kind of a breathy type of singing. The opening riff is actually quite solid although a bit subdued. The vocals come in and it's very apparent that Don probably wrote this because his voice really suits this song and vice versa. The song overall has a smooth if not powerful feel to it. Lynch's solo seems to be a few fast runs, but what I liked more than the solo was the cut it made straight back into the main rhythm, very smooth. As they repeat the beginning chorus and the song heads to end I am left thinking that Dokken really hit everything right on this song.

Slippin' Away- Slow beginning and right away I realize it's another ballad and it's trying to be oh so serious. The music rises slightly and Don's vocals begin to get syrupy, but not exactly overdone. The solo is kind of simple for Lynch with more just bends and holding several notes and it's actual fairly short which suits the pace of the song. It's not bad, but it seems a bit like the first filler song I have heard so far.

Lightnin' strikes again- The opening riff is just the guitar and the bass and drums kicking in and then Don. It's the heaviest song so far, but extremely repetitive. The vocals just really seem like he is trying to make the song seem heavier than it is. Good for a change of pace at this point in the album, but it's not their best songwriting. So ends side one, time to flip it over and hear what's there.

It's not love- Simple intro leads into the first song of side two. It's not bad, but it's nothing I didn't hear on the first side of the album. Don seems to be trying to hit a different range, but it doesn't quite work. The solo just seems to happen with no real flow into it and that's the first time that has happened on this album. The best thing about this song is the drum beat which is solid and clear.

Jaded Heart-This song starts out very simple with a few notes then it builds slowly with the vocals and bass joining and finally the drums. It's a great mix with everything blending very good as the song builds and then goes back to the simple beat again. The solo is short and not too spectacular, but that doesn't matter because this song doesn't need a flashy solo to make it good. This is not a song that will jump out at you, but if you are listening to it then you will hear why it is so good. It is not a showy song and not entirely original, but just very solid all the way through.

Don't lie to me-Straight into the song with a medium heavy beat and then it tapers off a bit into a very even flow where the guitar part is really going with the vocals instead of just backing them up. Then it goes into the same type of group chorus that has already been done in a few previous songs. George does probably his fastest so far although the most effective thing he does here is holding some notes that really add to the sound. This is not a standout track, but certainly not a throw away either.
Will the sun rise-This song right away sounds a bit like an anthem which is something Dokken don't normally do. It's a very simple song with not many pace changes, but it has a very smooth feel to it. Not spectacular, but the fact that it's different from the rest of the songs on this side helps it. Good solid rhythm from Brown and Pilson here as with most of the songs. We hear the chorus again right and the end of the song.

Til the livin' end- The openers on each side started with intros so the closers on both sides are the two fast songs. I guess they did that to space the songs out, but it feels more like bookends. This is the fastest song on the album and at one time that might have sounded like a great thing. However, it's not the heaviest because the music sounds tones down a bit despite the pace. The song actually flows pretty nicely, but it just really sounds a bit forced. I just get the impression they felt they needed a metal song and they tacked one on the end for good measure. George has his longest solo on the album here, but far from his best. It even has two parts, but there's just nothing to it that really makes it stand out or even sound that much like George Lynch. Finally the song ends and the album is done.

The final verdict- I put my notes away and think about what I heard. The final verdict is that Under lock and key is better than I thought back in 1985, but not really for the reasons I would have guessed. This album was not as sappy as I remember and George's solos were shorter than I remember. Unfortunately, the fast songs were not as good as I remembered. The best thing I can say about Dokken on this album is that they were overall competent. You are probably saying (in a sarcastic tone) "Whoa, Metal Mark, don't be so overwhelming with your compliment!". On the contrary, I think being competent in commercial metal goes a long way and everyone in Dokken were certainly competent. It wasn't the fast songs that stood out here, but rather it was the songs where they played to their strengths and when Don was singing what he was comfortable doing. Lynch's best solos weren't the longest or the fastest, but rather it was the ones that tried to match the feel of the song and the ones where he really squeezed a lot out of the simplest notes. The down side on this album and all of their albums except Tooth and nail was this feeling of just trying to be too serious and I really think that's why they never made it bigger than they did. The other thing I would have like to have seen more of was they should have played to their strengths and play what they are comfortable playing. When they did this in songs like Jaded Heart and In my dreams then it was very effective. However, they were trying to break through at this time so their were songs that either they or the record company probably thought should be on the album whether the band liked them or not. I won't be singing Unchain the night in the shower any time soon, but there is a good chance I will listen this album again this year.
There it is my debut review and I feel better after getting it out of my system. I promised one of these the first week of each month so now I have turn around and do another one next week. It's late in the summer of 1985 and a New York metal band is about to release their second album. Their debut came out in 84 and got some good reviews, but they have changed their singer and bass player since then. This is a band who was into Kiss, rap and hardcore bands. Of course it's Anthrax and I will have my review of Spreading the disease out next week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Wow, I was pretty impressed with this, Mark. Are you saying I write flowery reviews? lol... Unfortunately for much of what I do, the comparables are a must in the eyes the p.r. and labels, so I try to stray from them when I can but still appease everyone.

Anyway, I think this a really fair analysis. For some reason "It's Not Love" has always stuck with me, probably because I love George's lead melody in the opening and after the solo. Everything else you have written here I pretty much jive with. I'm surprised you came around to "In My Dreams." I could be wrong, but I thought you thought that song was sappy originally, whereas I thought it was one of their best written songs. Still do, actually.

As a sidenote "Will the Sun Rise" was one of the anti-nuke songs that came out in droves in the metal community, you know, like Ozzy did on many songs on The Ultimate Sin the same year in 1986. I just thought it was a nice bit of trivia since I'm using the nuclear war aspect in something I'm writing that correlates music to nukes.

Naturally Tooth and Nail was Dokken's true moment of glory, even if "Mr. Scary" from Back for the Attack is right up there in my favorite Dokken songs.

A very good job here, Mark, and if it makes you feel better, I sit down with pad and pen when I review CDs, or I sit here at the computer and jot notes while it spins.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home